12m HP v3 Review

Post your reviews and experiences with all the BEST products here!

Moderator: sq225917

12m HP v3 Review

Postby tonyg » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:33 am

I have ridden this kite 3 sessions now and am getting a pretty good feel for it so I figured I'd write this review. 175lb experienced rider.

Construction: Bomber ... every bit as good or better than anything out there. Most kites these days are really good though.

Pumping up: I've never been a huge fan of the one pump, this is only my second one-pump kite in 10yrs of kiting ... but it looks well constructed and the time to pump up is so fast I'm becoming a fan. The fact that the struts and leading edge are so small makes it really quick to get going.

Flying: This kite is a winner. There is absolutely no back-stall at all, even in lighter winds. Very responsive and solid in the air. Looks very c-like in the air and flys similar IMO. I've flown this on a 50cm and 55cm bar ... like it better on the 55cm.

Relaunch: Easy. Maybe not as quick as the kahoona but a no-brainer.

High End: Haven't found it yet. I love flying this thing powered ... eats up the wind. Mid 20's (mph) gusting to 30mph is no problem.

Jumping: To the moon when powered. Big smiles.

Low End: Good and Bad. This is the issue I have with this kite. I was hoping that this would be my biggest kite, replacing my old Royal Era 12m. The kite flies well in the low end, no stalling and you can generate power by working the kite and with board speed (apparent wind). So you can ride it on the lower end but you can't jump it at all until it is juiced. I would say the low end is not much more than my 9.5 Kahoona. My son, 20lbs lighter than me, was riding the 9.5 (on a smaller twin) and staying up wind where I could not. He took out the 12m and said very little difference in his mind as well.

Bottom line: For a medium wind kite it's a winner. For me, I need a bigger kite. I told myself I needed to demo this kite before buying but that did not work out. I should have bought the 14m or possibly the 15m Taboo. This kite can not be MY light-wind kite. It is an amazing kite but does not have the low-end I was hoping for. If you're looking for a deal on an almost new 12m kite shoot me a pm. I'm in Hatteras until Saturday if you are here and want to have a go on it.

Tony
2010 Kahoona v2 7.5m/9.5m, 2008 7m Waroo
Dereck Camacho 5'11" Quad, 2010 Aggression 132x40.5
tonyg
Medium Poster

Re: 12m HP v3 Review

Postby tonyg » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:14 pm

Just go off the ocean from the best session of the week ... on the 12m. Might just be a keeper after all, it's just too much fun. I do wish the low end was a bit better but wow, what a kite. I think this could almost be a one kite quiver for most of the winds I ride in.
2010 Kahoona v2 7.5m/9.5m, 2008 7m Waroo
Dereck Camacho 5'11" Quad, 2010 Aggression 132x40.5
tonyg
Medium Poster

Return to Kite & Product Reviews