12m vs Nemi 12m ?

Post your reviews and experiences with all the BEST products here!

Moderator: sq225917

12m vs Nemi 12m ?

Postby jumarcil » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:08 am

I just bough an 8m taboo and wow this is really a sweet kite. I had almost gave up on best after a terrible 2010 season...

Anyway; I am now thinking of replacing my lithium 12m with a Taboo 12m or maybe a 12m Nemi; the problem is that the lithium is a really grunty kite and I heard that the taboo 12m lacks in the Low end dept.

How about the new nemi 12m; does it have decent low end ? I can ride my 12m lithium with a big TT in 10 knots at 160 pounds.

Any input appreciated.

Jules
Driven by Wind ;-)
Best TS + Nemi V3
jumarcil
Medium Poster

Re: 12m vs Nemi 12m ?

Postby sq225917 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:23 am

The Taboo isn't a grunter, we've added some more in the 10-14m sizes for next year, but this year its a kite that likes to be powered. The Nemi is similar in that it really loves high wind but unlike the Taboo it has grunt in low wind due to the flatter canopy shape and thinner leading edge.

But, the Lithium is basically a Delta kite, it has little in the tips and a pretty large projected area, so I doubt the 12m HP will match it for pure low end. It'll beat it down everywhere else though. So if you can lose that last knot between 10 and 11 knots then you'll be fine with the HP 12.

...and once it hits 14 knots you'll be lit..
sq225917
Go on, ask me.

Postby jumarcil » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:37 pm

sq225917 wrote:The Taboo isn't a grunter, we've added some more in the 10-14m sizes for next year, but this year its a kite that likes to be powered. The Nemi is similar in that it really loves high wind but unlike the Taboo it has grunt in low wind due to the flatter canopy shape and thinner leading edge.

But, the Lithium is basically a Delta kite, it has little in the tips and a pretty large projected area, so I doubt the 12m HP will match it for pure low end. It'll beat it down everywhere else though. So if you can lose that last knot between 10 and 11 knots then you'll be fine with the HP 12.

...and once it hits 14 knots you'll be lit..

Thanks Simon;

if I can get a good deal on that 12m nemi I will surely go for it. If I wait until next year it will probably be a taboo. Knowing myself; I will probably be riding a Nemi V3 in a week or 2 :-)

Jules
Driven by Wind ;-)
Best TS + Nemi V3
jumarcil
Medium Poster

Postby jumarcil » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:02 am

I finally went for the Taboo;

I tried it yesterday for the first time. It was about 10-11 knots so I taught that I wouldn't be able to ride but with my big Airush Sector 60, I was planning no problem at all. The lowend isn't very strong but it is really easy to build apparent wind. So event though LW isn't its strong point I can get by.

Later on the wind picked ut to 15-16 knots. I was starting to have fun with my TT, the kite is really smooth; it is also really quick or a 12m. I was popping some decent jumps but it doesn't have much hangtime. Still I was jumping almost as high as I was doing with my previous kite. Can't wait to try it in 20 knots wind. That kite will be a total blast ;-)

I sold my Airush lithium which was a really grunty park n ride kite for the Taboo and I think a made a good decision. I will progress a lot more and will be able to practice some really nice kiteloop with it.

I will test it more today but I think that I will love that kite.

Jules
Driven by Wind ;-)
Best TS + Nemi V3
jumarcil
Medium Poster

Postby sq225917 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:34 am

The 12 is a good one, I love it up to the high 20k
sq225917
Go on, ask me.

Postby jumarcil » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:41 pm

sq225917 wrote:The 12 is a good one, I love it up to the high 20k

Tried it today in conditions varying from 15 to maybe 20-22 knots in some big chop and it really is a nice kite. Once lit I was able to crank some really nice jumps, the bar pressure is not too light : the feel of that kite is just perfect. It is very easy to redirect in the air. I think I will have to get myself another surf board to enjoy these kite when we get some nice wave.

We do get a lot of really light days around here so I will get the 15m as well. I tried it this winter and it feels really small for a big kite and it generate some nice power.

Best you guys made a really sweet kite. Add just a bit of LW on the 12m and it will be perfect.

Jules
Driven by Wind ;-)
Best TS + Nemi V3
jumarcil
Medium Poster

Return to Kite & Product Reviews