Cabo 9m review

Post your reviews and experiences with all the BEST products here!

Moderator: sq225917

Cabo 9m review

Postby NAG » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:52 am

Got to try out a Cabo 9 yesterday here in Tarifa.

Unfortunately conditions were pretty flat, good for the kitemasters competition, not great to test out a new wave kite. Wind around 16kts. More then enough power on a gunny 5'5" thruster, definitely not overpowered.

First off, I really like the new colours. It actually looks good, which makes a change after the quite boring design of the TS. Incidentally the new GP looks amazing (and is significantly improved too).

First of, this kite feels light when you lift it on the beach. It's pretty low aspect too, a combo that usually gives good drift. Launching it, there is smooth power, no surprises. Bar feel is light, lighter then the TS (on my 9TS before the test). The feel is direct and connected, but not squirrelly - nice and stable, but when you want to turn, it responds immediately.

Lift isn't as good as the TS or Kahoona, but a bit better then the Taboo. Not really a jumpers kite, hight isn't going to break any records, but glide is exceptional. It took a few goes to recalibrate back & front rolls, initially kept digging the tip into the water, not enough altitude, and the timing is a little different.

The turn is the best thing about this kite. It's epic and inspires confidence. You can just wack it around and the kite responds. Really fast, smooth turning, with smooth power delivery and no surprises. The smoothness of turn and power is a bit like last year's Taboo, but the kite doesn't 'shoot' through the air so much like the TS does, so you can really concentrate on the turn, rather then having to think about what the kite might do afterwards and the power it may generate then. This is exactly what I want when on a wave (sadly I only had 0.5m wind swell).

Depower is very, very good - push the bar out and you'll start sinking if you don't power up a bit, again what you want in waves. And when you do pull it in, there's enough juice to get you going (unlike the old Taboo).

Quickly settled into it and was having a blast carving hard, very tight turns from rail to rail.

A very nice responsive machine that really lets you focus on the water knowing the kite will turn fast, really depower and just hang on demand, yet give you the juice you need to keep going and set up the next turn.
-Niko
NAG
Medium Poster

Re: Cabo 9m review

Postby reverse777 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:31 am

Thanks Niko for the review.

What sought of wind range for the 9mt on a surfboard do you reckon ?

Did you have any info on its production release date.

Hopefully around oct early nov and i'd be happy.
reverse777
Medium Poster

Postby cowboy54 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:57 am

from what Ive been told, all 2013 model kites are expected to be on sale from Sept 1st, whether or not that includes available in your local kite store I cant say.
Anglia Area Demo Manager (UK)
cowboy54
Medium Poster

Postby reverse777 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:11 am

Sounds good cowboy54. I like.
reverse777
Medium Poster

Postby NAG » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:33 am

Hi Reverse - I can't really say what the wind range is like I wan't pushing the limits either side. 16kts was completely cool with the 9m.
-Niko
NAG
Medium Poster

Postby reverse777 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:57 am

Hey Niko

Looking at replacing my 9.5mt V3 kahoona .

Hopefully a 9mt will fit in between my 7 TS and 11.5 V4 kahoona if it is any good.
reverse777
Medium Poster

Postby NAG » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:33 pm

Hi 777

I too Just made the major decision to sell my v3 Kahoonas last week - the lot from 5 to 11. A tough one, especially as the 7.5 is one of my favourite kites of all time, only the v1 was better. But we don't get enough clean wave days here, and the TS is a machine.

Now my daughter's back both she and my wife want the 9TS when I do.. so the Kahoonas are getting replaced with 8, 10 and 12 TS to add to my 5.5, 7 and 9. Gulp. Hope I can get an end of year 3 for 2 deal.

The 9 Cabo is a great kite to add to the 7TS. It turns faster then the 9TS and the power is similar. I haven't tried the v4 11.5, but understand that has a tiny bit less low end then the v3. In which case the 9 Cabo will fit perfectly.

But be warned: you won't want to go on the 11.5 K again once you have the Cabo. The turn on that thing is so great, the 11.5 K is like a slug compared to it.

You guys with the kites: what sizes of Cabo are being made this year? The 9 was sweet for me at 75kg, but what about when the wind picks up? A 6 or 7? What's the realistic fun top end on these things with a surfboard (I'm not talking about survival mode)?

Very tempting...

BTW, anyone want v3 Kahoonas in perfect undamaged (well looked after, though used) condition, PM me.
-Niko
NAG
Medium Poster

Postby reverse777 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:15 am

Hey Niko

Actually have only used my 11.5 v4 kahoona once last season and it was like flying the Hindenburg for when I am desperate.

Will have to see how cashed up I am this coming season and what the kite pricing will be.
reverse777
Medium Poster

Postby kitebaja » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:40 am

Does 9m Cabo fit nicely between 7.5 and 9.5 Kahoona V4?
Does it have same power as 8.5 Kahoona , if there was one?

Same question for in between Kahoona 5.5 and 7.5 , does Cabo 7 fits in?

What are the sizes?
kitebaja
Rare Poster

Postby NAG » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:06 am

I would say yes (8.5 Kahoona). I can't speak for any other size as I've only tried the 9.
-Niko
NAG
Medium Poster

Postby reverse777 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:19 am

Hey Niko

Have had 2 sessions now on my 9mt Cabo.

Its a real surfers kite, just like you said, smooth and easy turning letting you do your stuff.

The power is there when you want it.

I like , very excellente.

Now somehow my 11,5 kahoona does not fit into the equation.

Has anyone rode the 11mt Cabo in waves ?
reverse777
Medium Poster

Return to Kite & Product Reviews