07 Waroo 20m first impressions

Post your reviews and experiences with all the BEST products here!

Moderator: sq225917

07 Waroo 20m first impressions

Postby bigkahuna » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:55 pm

I just picked up an 07 Waroo 20m on sale last week and had an opportunity to give it a quick fly on the beach this morning. This isn't a full review, just my first impressions from flying the kite on the beach. I'm an experienced intermediate level kiter and weigh around 245 - 250 lbs. In the past I've owned and have flown Norths, Peter Lynns, Slingshots, Flysurfers and Cabrinhas. Over the past 8 months I've flown a Peter Lynn Venom 19m, Flysurfer Speed 2 19, North Rhino 06 20m and today the Waroo 20m. Winds were 10 - 12 mph side on shore (measured at ground level and verified by a wind meter 2 miles from my launch spot).

In a word, I -love- this kite! Although I hadn't planned on taking it out on the water, I could have. I self launched and landed, no problem. The kite was extremely stable in the air. Turning speed was very good (even while using the stock 55 cm bar, which isn't all that long IMHO) and I had enough power in such light winds to drag myself down the beach and do small hops. If I had a bigger, floatier board (surfboard) I'm sure I could have gone out. This is a big deal for a heavy weight like me. I finally have a kite I can use when the lightweights go out. I was very impressed, I know that I'm going to love this kite. I won't bad mouth the other kites I used earlier last season, but I will say that had I bought the Waroo 20m last spring I would have easily gotten 10x more sessions. The only negative I'd say was that the kite had some trailing edge flutter near the tips during a down stroke, not bad, just haven't seen this on other kites I've flown.

This is the third Best kite I've bought in the last 12 months (I also have a Waroo 5m and Bularoo 13m) and I've been impressed with each and every one of them. I just ordered a Bularoo 16 today so now my entire quiver is Best Waroos and Bularoos.
bigkahuna
Rare Poster

Postby bigkahuna » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:10 pm

Just had my first real session on the 07 Waroo 20m, in a word: awesome. Wind slowly built from around 10 mph to 15 mph with 20 mph gusts, with some following current near shore (which acts like decreasing the wind a couple mph). I had a blast. I shortened the rears to the 4th knot from the bottom and the kite definitely had more grunt with the shorter rear setting. Turns about as fast as a lot of 15 and 16m kites I've flown. Flying it across the window the kite gets lots of pull, but not so much that it was out of control. I rode some tiny waves, going directly at the kite and it behaved nicely, very stable. FWIW, I always self launch and land, and with this kite it was super easy. I haven't completely dialed this kite in yet, but this kite is extremely user friendly and I can see already that this kite is going to get a lot of use this summer!
bigkahuna
Rare Poster

Postby ThePerchik » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:29 pm

I think I am sold. My 15M has been bread and butter and I think the 20M is joining my quiver.
ThePerchik
Medium Poster

Postby ThePerchik » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:36 pm

Just got my 20M today. The good news: It is here just in time for a light wind day this coming Sat.

The bad news...its really really really pink. But I can live with that. Will post up reviews...
ThePerchik
Medium Poster

Postby bigkahuna » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:20 pm

The bad news...its really really really pink.

Yeah, mine too. But in spite of its color, its an awesome kite.
bigkahuna
Rare Poster

Re: 07 Waroo 20m first impressions

Postby bigkahuna » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:57 am

Just a quick update 4 years later, and I still love this kite. It's still the best big kite I've ever flown. I demo'd a 2012 Switchblade 16m a few months ago and the Waroo 20m turns faster than the Switchblade and has tons more power. At 240 lbs I use it in 14 mph winds all the time. I ride mostly ride it in waves here on the Banks and do downwinders. Nothing beats a glassy wave session with this kite, it just stays up in the sky no matter what you do.

Attention Best Kiteboarding marketing people: If you make these again and market them you will completely dominate the lightwind kiting market. I've flown almost every lightwind kite that's ever been made, including the expensive Flysurfer Speeds, and nothing comes close to the Waroo 20m for power, turning speed and stability.
bigkahuna
Rare Poster

Postby NICKM » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:48 pm

Hey Paul! The problem is nobody wants to buy a kite with the number 20 on it. It's a mental thing. It may very well supersede the SB 16 or whatever kite but the fact is, in today's market a 20m is a dud (sales wise.) now I know I'm just a lousy boatswains mate with no degree in selling things but, it's my two cents.
5-7, 5-7, 6...same but different
NICKM
Medium Poster

Postby sq225917 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm

Yeh, there's not much market for a pure chugger. We made very few of them in total, not even 100 so keep it safe.
sq225917
Go on, ask me.

Postby sethe78 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:26 pm

Love the update. I'm still sporting a 2007 17 M Waroo. Love that kite for light wind days. I'm out on the water as long as anyone at the beach. Picked mine up the end of 07 and almost went for a 20 m, opted for a little smaller kite and a bigger board. Keep rocking the 20 m buddy. That got to be a giant on the sky!!

After riding the TS I think I have to add a 17 TS to my quiver. Actually, probably going for a quiver of them.Absolutelyly love that kite. GP was sick, but I'm a weekend warrior and like the addeflexibilityty of the TS. If i was more focused on Freestyle and powered tricks, the GP would be where it's at.

Man, sad day when I'm thinking of retiring the 07 waroo.
sethe78
Rare Poster

Return to Kite & Product Reviews