Problem with Strut Bladder- How to Fix?

This is a forum dedicated to tips and tricks, whether its rigging your bar correctly or learning a backroll...

Moderator: sq225917

Problem with Strut Bladder- How to Fix?

Postby lalawyer » Tue May 18, 2010 7:36 pm

So the strut bladder (closest to my wingtip) popped on my 08 11M Warroo. I ordered a replacement membrane bladder from Best, and installed it as shown in the video. While in Aruba the new bladder developed a bulging hole at the bottom (trailing) end. I patched it with Kitefix patch, only to have it develop another bulging hole at the same trailing end, but slightly different location.

What is the problem? Is there something special to be done with the excess trailing edge bladder material other than pushing it into the strut before folding the end canvas over?

Thanks for the help.

Scott
Scott
2008 7, 9 & 11M Waroos and 14M HP
Nobile NHP 131 and 555 125x38
lalawyer
Medium Poster

Re: Problem with Strut Bladder- How to Fix?

Postby sq225917 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:48 am

Scott, long time no hear, where have you been hiding?

All the spare should be loosely bunched up towards the tip flap and then the flap folded in. When you inflate it for the first time, go half way on the air pressure until it is firm enough to massage around but not pushing hard against the flap. Then massage it around a little and go for broke on the pump.

Sometimes if they are fresh out of the bag, or if your kite is still damp they can stick to the fabric and when you inflate it the air pushes against the tight side causing it to bulge.
sq225917
Go on, ask me.

Postby lalawyer » Wed May 19, 2010 12:13 pm

Hey Simon--thanks for the words. Yes, I took a bit of time off from the forums, but it is nice to be back.

I'm struggling with this part of your reply "All the spare should be loosely bunched up towards the tip flap and then the flap folded in."

The strut bladder is longer than the actual strut when the flap is closed. In fact, its about as long as the strut with the strut flap open. So the choices are to fold the strut flap closed with the bladder material contained within it, or to push the extra bladder material up into the strut (so that it is free of the strut flap), and then fold the flap closed. Which one is the proper course?

If the extra material is to be pushed up into the strut itself (and free of the strut flap), do you fold the extra bladder material over itself so that it is the length of the strut, and then close the strut flap inside? Or do you just push the extra bladder material up into the strut casing and then fold the strut flap inside? Is there a proper way to push the extra material up into the strut casing to avoid my bubbling and bursting problem?

Thanks for the help. I hope all is well with you and your family.

Regards,
Scott
Scott
lalawyer
Medium Poster

Postby lalawyer » Fri May 21, 2010 5:01 pm

Hello???
Scott
lalawyer
Medium Poster

Postby BSCALL » Fri May 21, 2010 5:22 pm

You can push the extra material up inside and then flod the velco inside. I sometimes roll the extra inside the ends and the velco closed.
Brian Scall
CS / Warranty Manager
Office: 1.252.489.2959 ext. 0223
Toll Free: 866-700-BEST (2378)
BSCALL
Medium Poster

Postby pjs199 » Mon May 31, 2010 1:34 pm

Hmmm, I had a similar problem with 12m 08 HP leading edge, I just got a new bladder (changed by someone else - not me) and it burst at one end (after short session) and looking at the other end it has gone bulgy.

There is some velcro on the end of the bladder itself, which I guess must touch the velcro inside the LE tube. Does this have to touch properly? Sometimes it doesnt seem stuck on in a good place (too far along the bladder), or making it touch would cause the bladder to twist (seems to be stuck on the wrong side).

Also, does it matter what point I fold the LE - I could fold it long so the main bit of velcro lines up well, or I could fold it short to fit completely inside the pocket.

The video is great, but doesn't cover this level of detail, which looks like it is pretty critical. I'm probably going to have to get a new bladder and want to get it right this time!
pjs199
Rare Poster

Return to Tips and Tricks