05 Yarga Help

This is a forum dedicated to tips and tricks, whether its rigging your bar correctly or learning a backroll...

Moderator: sq225917

05 Yarga Help

Postby yoda3647 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:53 am

Hi All new to Kiteboarding. I just bought this 05 Yarga 13m kite off of criagslist for 100.00 (hope that is good price). I have been flying regular stunt kites 2 line and 4 line for 20 years just new to the kiteboarding. I got a trainer and have even let it pull me on my Mountain board. I am looking for a Manual for this 05 YARGA 13M kite, I have looked on the web cite and it does not go back that far. I would just really like to set this kite up by the book the first time I fly. I would be willing to pay for one if not to pricey. thanks John
yoda3647
Rare Poster

Re: 05 Yarga Help

Postby stacey » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:48 am

Look here, under 06, Kite Setup and possibly 5th line. This is an old-school c-kite and one manual sufficed for all kite models.

http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/Manuals

It's really a shame that people will sell their old gear to anyone looking to getting into kitesurfing, whether they've had lessons or know anything about equipment or not. Buyer beware, I guess, but still. It was $100 for a reason, which is: it's a C-kite, which is not so easy to learn on, is less forgiving, has very little depower, is not so great in gusts, and doesn't like to stay in the sky as much as the newer bridled SLE/bow or delta shapes (which are much better for beginners and are much easier to learn on).

I would stongly suggest that you do NOT fly this kite without getting instruction, and if this is the kite you are going to stick with, have the instructor use this kite in the lesson. A 13m C-kite is big step up from a trainer or some stunt kites, and, while your experience with basic kite flying will help you later on, once you're passed the initial learning curve, I would not attempt to put the 13m in the air unless you are in a lesson situation with an instructor that can teach on C-s.
stacey
She's in trouble poster..

Postby yoda3647 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:12 pm

The Kite that I am wanting to get ( saving up now) is the Peter Lynn Charger, I only bought this kite because it was 100.00 HAVE NOT FLOWN IT NOR DO I PLAN ON FLYING IT UNTIL I HAVE HAD TRAINING. I just wanted to now the proper way so that I could practice setting it up so that when/if I ever do fly it(instead of selling it)I know how to set it up without having to read the manual the day I want to fly it. I have Already aired it up and deflated it 3 times, the first making sure the kites bladder had no holes. I have been doing my research. Have even talked the the training instructor. Right now I am more inclined to stay on land if all I get is lectures from Kite Surfers, I was told they Kite Surfer where cool and helpful. One of my 4 Line stunt kite is the REV BLAST which has plenty of power for mountain boarding or to Buggy so it's not like I have not training at all just never been on a Kite Board with having a Harness and the Bigger Kites I know it is a Dangerous Sport/Activity but I thought it would be fun. I could hook this kite up and properly the right way just like to be thorough, I always do research and research before doing anything. So do you think the PETER LYNN Charger is a good Kite?
yoda3647
Rare Poster

Postby ETHANol » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:21 pm

This post is a joke. I'm sure it's just some guy looking for some laughs. Come on '05 Yarga and Peter Lynn. Ha ha. :lol: :lol: :lol: I almost bought it.
ETHANol
Frequent Poster

Postby yoda3647 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:45 pm

No joke I just bought the YARGA because of price. I talked to Kent at "A Wind Of Change Kite Company" and he suggested the Peter Lynn Charger as a Kite good for doing both Mountain Boarding and Water Boarding.
yoda3647
Rare Poster

Postby stacey » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:05 pm

Ethan, why don't you tell us how you really feel. And please, don't spare anyone's feelings!

Yoda, As far as the lecture, just trying to keep people out of trouble. Things can go wrong very quickly and you'd be surprised by how many people think they can just go out and pick this up on their own and end up hurting themselves, other people, and then wrecking it for other kiters.

I'm glad to hear that you're getting lessons first. The manual will show you how to properly hook up the lines ... center lines to the front of the kite (front & center), back lines to the outside of the kite (out/back), etc.

I don't know anything about the Charger, although I do know that some land and snowboarders prefer foil kites over inflatable kites, so if you're kiting with people who fly those kites, I'm not surprised you wouldn't tend to gravitate to what they fly, as your first purchase. If you're going to be doing both land and water kiting, it would help to talk to people who do both (there are pros and cons for each) so you'd have to figure out what works best for you, which you'll be doing more of, etc. Hold off on making any new purchases until you have a water lesson. I went to the Wind of Change website, and they seem only to sell foil kites, and are primarily land-based, so I'm not surprised they would want to sell you something that they stock, so just be aware of that.

Peronally, I only kite on the water and would never think to take a foil into the water, mostly because I'm happy with my inflatables, and because we only make inflatables, and because a foil looks like a sinking machine to me and usually when I see a foil kite (1 in 200 maybe), the guy is having issues with it, but this is my experience only and may not be everyone elses.
stacey
She's in trouble poster..

Postby yoda3647 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:32 pm

I will probably do more Mountain boarding than Water just because the park is closer to my house than the beach. What kind of kite would you recommend, so I can research it.
yoda3647
Rare Poster

Postby ETHANol » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:58 pm

yoda3647 wrote:Right now I am more inclined to stay on land if all I get is lectures from Kite Surfers, I was told they Kite Surfer where cool and helpful.

Well Yoda if you really are for real (I'm still doubtful) your attitude stinks. It actually pains me to think people like you are getting into kitesurfing. Your post makes you come off as a completely clueless idiot. Stacy, who is generally considered to be one of the coolest and nicest chicks around, spent some of her valuable time to get you going in the right direction and you basically call her a jerk. That Yarga you bought isn't worth a $100. It's not even worth a penny. Only a clueless idiot would buy that kite. You basically threw a hundred bucks in the trash. Seriously. Just take that kite out to the trash now.

You call up a shop that specializes in windsocks, stunt kites and kite buggy gear and they try to sell you the one kite they sell that is remotely suitable for kitesurfing (wake up and clue in dude). If you got such mad skills that you'll won't be crashing the thing in the water (highly unlikely considering your posts), the Peter Lynn could work for you. If you are like 99% of people out there you need an inflatable kite. If you want to save some money get a used '08 Waroo. Great kites.

These guys sell land and kitesurf gear and you'll get better advice from them:
http://www.oceanextremesports.com

Call it a lecture or call me an as$hole, but the advice given out on this forum (apart from the occasional marketing hype from SQ) is extremely good. You're not going to end up with a dud kite or a bad plan of attack if you listen to what people tell you here.

Peace out and good luck.
ETHANol
Frequent Poster

Postby troubleshooter » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:25 pm

Although everything said by Ethanol and Stacey is true, just think back to your first thoughts on attempting kitesurfing. If I had bought the kites I had methodically researched for 3 months based precisely on the seasonal wind conditions of South Florida and my body weight and without ever talking to a kiter, I would have the wrong stinkin kites right now....well I would have 6 kites ago.

Hell, even the first school I approached was gonna sell me the wrong stinkin kites come to think of it. I have noticed that people take advantage of kitesurfers, even within our own industry. Even bans result in others profitting off our mistakes.

So give the guy a little break for being a bit cocky. Safety Rick will have one more student of kiteboarding to write up on some kite lofting injury if this guy doesn't heed the advice of active kite surfers. That is not the right kite for you now or maybe ever. There are plenty of 2008 SLE bow kites (some still new) in that size that can be had for $250-300. And Yoda, you set yourself up for a bashing. Your post is actually such a typical beginner mistake that it is almost painful for us to read and respond to.

And Ethanol, dude, all respect to you, but there is something creepy about your new avatar. I cant put my finger on it. :lol:
troubleshooter
Troublemaker

Postby yoda3647 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:39 am

I really do appreciate all the input, and with keyboarding(typing not speaking) It may have sounded rude. that was not my intent as I am sure it was not Stacey's she seems real nice. I really did think that the Peter Lynn Charger was/is a good Kite, I have looked @ the inflatable Kite's and I might end up getting one. With the trainer kites being Foil you can hopefully see why I was thinking about the Charger and reading some other forum about kite surfers liking the Charger. I was looking around the internet and have found two trainers that are scaled down versions of the inflatables and I am hoping that some Kite Surfers would give me feedback or atlest their opinion of them, thinking about getting one for training I know I already have a Trainer but these mini inflatables are suppose to be just like the big ones with the bar,pump and hooking up to a harness so that you can train being hooked into a harness using the depower and safety's and such. Here are the links

http://www.live2kite.com/airush-2m-inflatable-trainer-kite-p-1110.html

http://store.oceanrodeo.com/Kites/Rise-2-0-Trainer-Complete
yoda3647
Rare Poster

Postby troubleshooter » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:16 am

I was refering only to the Yarga C-kite as a mistake. I should have been clearer. I dont know much about foil kites so I can't really comment on how they are for new kiters.

I think the point that some of us were trying to make is that 2005 C-kite (Yarga) is not a good choice for a new kiter. Yes you could say that begginers back in the day had no choice but to use a C-kite to learn with (before the days of SLE/Bow kites) but that was then. Newer kites such as SLE/Bow kites are still dangerous and need instruction on use, but the safety features and depower (the ability to take away the power of the kite) on the newer kites are so much better and have opened up kiting to many more people then with the old C-kites.

C-kites are still used and manufactured today becuase some prefer the way they handle (and are actually quite expensive in some brands) but even C-kites made now are much safer than C-kites of 2005. This sport is so new that every years model has progresses so much.

Go to your local kite beach (even if its a haul) and watch and talk to the kiters and what they are riding. I can tell you that even though I have water within minutes of my house, it is not uncommon for me to put in 4 hours round trip on a routine kite day.

Since your on a Best forum the most versatile kite i could suggest to you would be a Kahoona. Since 2010 V2 Kahoonas have been out, the 2009 V1 Kahoonas can be had for 20-30% of retail if you look around on-line. And the price point on a Kahoona is already low to begin with. Search the Kaoona on this forum and you will see all the good comments.

Anyway, I cant diss the foils because i dont know them well so my perspective is using an inflatable SLE kite. Professional instruction is a must in this sport. We have all made the mistake of buying gear befoe we even had an intro to kiting so it may be best to wait. Th egood thing is that lessons include the use of the school kite so you dont need your own at that stage.
troubleshooter
Troublemaker

Postby ETHANol » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:11 am

Yoda, good so see you back. If half of communication is body language and the other half is intonation, typing leads to a lot of misunderstandings.

Live2Kite is in my hometown and the owner is Greek so of course it's a great shop. That being said, don't waste your money on the inflatable trainer. You do need time with a trainer to the point that you can fly it blindfolded and one-handed but any two-line kite will do.

This is the Best forum so we recommend Best kites. There are other good kites from other brands some of them I've tried but others I have only seen and plenty that I've never seen. But here we know Best so that's what we are qualified to give advice about. Best has a several models, not all of them are good for you. The Kahoona is simply an amazing kite. You'll learn faster with Kahoonas. The Kahoona is considered a 'delta' shaped kite. Other brands make deltas and you would like them as well. I've tried another popular brand (won't name because it's not cool to bash other people's ride) but prefer the Kahoona both in terms of performance and construction, but never ever believe anyone when they compare brands. Everybody and I mean everybody is biased to certain brands. It's like asking a Republican when he thinks of Barak Obama.

Anyway, take a lesson or two and then decide. For now, for new kites for kitesurfing, I recommend the Kahoona, either v1 or v2. For used, see if you can get a Kahoona v1. Still great kites but more of an intermediate kite is the 2008 and 2009 Waroo. You can find them used for a good price. For land, I have no idea what is good or not.

On the Peter Lynn kites, they are sort of a cult with die hard fans. Simple reality is that it is just not a good kite for learning on the water. You're going to crash the thing then it will fill up with water because you are not good at relaunching. After a few crashes and filling up with water and swimming in with a kite full of 100 pounds of water the fabric will lose some of its integrity and it will fill up with water faster then next time you crash it and the problem gets worse. You really want to wait until you can stay upwind and not crash the kite and have good relaunching skills before you go with a Peter Lynn. The die hard fans will disagree and say I'm an as$hole but there are Republicans that still think George W. Bush was a great president.

Kanoona could be a great option because it is not one-pump so if you do get a leak from say crashing it into a patch of thistles, it will be super easy and fast to repair. I'd definitely stay away from multi-pump kites if you are worried about leaks.

Like I said, you'll get great advice here on the Best forum. You'll end up with a Best kite, but it will be a good one that you will be very happy with.

And really, trash the '05 Yarga. Not only is a C-kite the worst style kite for you, but the '05 Yarga completely sucked. I mean really really sucked to the point that it's maybe one of the worst kites ever made. Just completely sucks. And when I say sucks, I mean really sucks. Life is too short to pump that thing up again.

You think that avatar is creepy, I guess it's good I didn't post the one of me doing a naked raley.
ETHANol
Frequent Poster

Postby sq225917 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:36 am

05 Yarga was a great kite, probably the best one, kicked the Fuel into the dirt.....
sq225917
Go on, ask me.

Postby nameit » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:33 am

sure they'll release it in other colours right?

nameit

Return to Tips and Tricks