2009 Redline bar / 2010 Kahoona set up

This is a forum dedicated to tips and tricks, whether its rigging your bar correctly or learning a backroll...

Moderator: sq225917

2009 Redline bar / 2010 Kahoona set up

Postby ChrisH » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:10 am

Having been sold a Best kite surfing package summer last year and been practising for 12-14months (wind & time permitting) I am starting to wonder if there is a problem with my set up. The package included 2010 11.5m kahoona and what i now know to be a 2009 redline bar (55cm). (also have a 7.5m kahoona a fly on the same bar)
Recently i was on a holiday with a group of friends and for the first time ever I let someone else fly my kite. He (same height and build) flies RRD kites and was not impressed with the distance the bar had to be away from him at full depower and the difficulty he had adjusting the depower straps. This has reinforced my doubts about the set up i have been struggling with for 12 months. My questions are:
1. when i'm riding i find it difficult to lean back in the harness without pulling back on the bar so the kite becomes over powered. I appreciate i can use the depower straps to adjust power from the kite but i feel far to oftern i have to reach forward to allow the bar out to control power and the effects of even small-moderate gusts.
2. I notice that to use the depower strap in it max depower position the strap has to be pulled almost to the chicken loop - which if the strap is attached with its velcro loop to the power lines means the bar has to be pulled with it thus 'powering' the kite at a the very time you arte trying to depower it.
I appreciate I am a relative novice and may be making some basic kite tuning errors but some advice from someone out there would be much appreciated as I feel these issues are restriction the speed of my progressions.
3. While on holiday my redline (safey) snapped which surprised my as I would have expected the other line to go first. Does this suggest a problem with the way the kite way rigged from new?
Thanks all in advance
ChrisH
Rare Poster

Re: 2009 Redline bar / 2010 Kahoona set up

Postby stacey » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:59 am

It sounds to me as if your back lines are way too short and that is why when you lean back into the harness and pull in on the bar the kite becomes overpowered. I generally have my kite tuned so that when the bar is push about 3-4 inches away from the chicken loop - when hooked in - all lines are equal. For a little more power I pull the bar in all the way. This would also explain what's going on with pt #2. As far as the red line giving out, you have been using the bar for 12-14 months so it is not that surprising that things are starting to wear (however, I ride with a very basic bar without a redline so I'm not the best person to comment on this ... I"m not familiar with what normally wears first.)
stacey
She's in trouble poster..

Re: 2009 Redline bar / 2010 Kahoona set up

Postby sq225917 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:23 am

Chris,
Judging from your IP address I think you might be local to me, Sheffield. If that's the case I'd be happy to give your bar the once over for you and make sure it is set-up correctly. It does sound like you might benefit from adding a few inches of pigtail to the front lines on your bar. This will equal out your front/back line offset and put the centre point of your bar travel slap bang in the middle of where you want it to be for comfort.

Have you replaced your Redline yet?

Si.
drop me an sms on 07770572037
sq225917
Go on, ask me.

Return to Tips and Tricks