2010 performance bar with 09 9mWaroo safety landing

This is a forum dedicated to tips and tricks, whether its rigging your bar correctly or learning a backroll...

Moderator: sq225917

2010 performance bar with 09 9mWaroo safety landing

Postby irishAndy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:17 am

Hi
I had an interesting experience in high winds today, I got caught out with big jump in wind speed.
I came into the beach to put the rear lines on the bottom knot and to land my kite just pulled the safety release.

I have seen other guys do this, though not with Best kites, and have done it several times on my kahoona, normally, the kahoona just flips over leading edge forward and I just run up to the front lines.

What happened with the waroo was it just stayed up in the wind window at about 45 degrees. I then managed to activate the other safety, while trying to get to the front OSR, luckily I had one hand on the leash and managed to hold on through several loops until it settled at the side of the wind window and another dude, sprinted over to give me a hand.

Is this just a dumb way to land a kite? or just one for lighter winds?
Should the kite be at the edge of the wind window before you try this?
Why was the waroo behaviour so different from the KahoonaV2?

I don't have too much self landing experience, as is probably evident.
irishAndy
Rare Poster

Re: 2010 performance bar with 09 9mWaroo safety landing

Postby sq225917 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:26 am

Andy, the Waroo is a very different shape to the Kahoona so hangs of the bridle when fully depowered differently, also in high winds, all bets are off as regards any kite behaving. In high winds an assisted landing is always best, but that's not always practical. My preferred self land with a Waroo in high winds was always to hold it about half a kite span off the ground, with the kite full depowered at the trim strap. Push the stopper all the way up and then push the bar into the stopper. Undo the velcro on the side of the bar that corresponds to the 'high' wingtip, unhook and then holding the rear line OSR handle, or clipped into it with the leash, drop the bar.

The lower wingtip should flag out and at the same time the kite should come down and land LE down into the wind. It'll take some practice to get perfect and it might flip over once or twice as you practice, but once you get it dialed it should be come 2nd nature
sq225917
Go on, ask me.

Postby irishAndy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:52 pm

cheers dude, won't try that method again
just a thought on if you need to pull the release on purpose, does this mean that the kite will not fully depower? Do you then need to go for an front OSR to bring down the kite?
irishAndy
Rare Poster

Postby sq225917 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:04 pm

A back line OSR goes directly to the wingtip, a front line OSR distributes load across the LE, so the back line will alwasy kill more residual drag. Where you can use the rear line OSR
sq225917
Go on, ask me.

Return to Tips and Tricks