Relaunch..

This is a forum dedicated to tips and tricks, whether its rigging your bar correctly or learning a backroll...

Moderator: sq225917

Relaunch..

Postby sq225917 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:59 am

It seems like we are currently having a lot of Cabrinha riders swap over to Best for the improved handling and performance.

however the X-bow and Switchblade use a different relaunch technique to the Waroo and HP, and kitesurfers being lazy, probably won’t read the manual before they go out on the water.

So........

To relaunch the Waroo from the dead downwind position the rider just needs to flip the kite onto its back, then haul in 1m or so of back line, hold it, and wait for the kite to move right round to the edge of the window. It’s that simple, 20 seconds should do it, instructions attached.

http://media.bestkiteboarding.com/manua ... launch.pdf

manual updated.
-----------------
sc@pureactionsports.com
Facebook: simon clarke
Marketing guy.
sq225917
Go on, ask me.

Postby mbigger » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:47 am

Interesting....I got that in my inbox this morning.

I dont have the kites yet but the bar pressure from my switchblade is killing me so I'm making the switch to Best
mbigger
Frequent Poster

Postby sq225917 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:28 pm

That must be because i can read your mind... :wink:

truth is we have had a quite a few people swap over in the past few weeks, most of them for the reason you give, they prefer the bar pressure and handling on the Waroo.

They do however comment that the Waroo needs more coaxing into the air. in reality it just needs flipping over onto its back first, unless you feel like hauling in a lot of back line.

Simple really. :wink:
-----------------
sc@pureactionsports.com
Marketing guy.
sq225917
Go on, ask me.

Postby Waroo NL » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:32 pm

Is this also working better on the 07's?
Waroo NL
Medium Poster

Postby sq225917 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:20 am

It's the prefered technique for all waroo's.
-----------------
sc@pureactionsports.com
Marketing guy.
sq225917
Go on, ask me.

Postby troubleshooter » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:46 pm

Is this the preferred method for the Nemi as well?

Also read the quote below from your post:

Once you have the kite in this position you can
relaunch by a swift upward pull on the side of the bar that corresponds to the upwind wingtip.

Dont mean to sound stupid, but what is upward pull. Do you mean just pull in that side of the bar like you are turning the kite or something else? Also, at this point, are you still holding in 1 meter of the rear OSR line or is it let back out at this point?
troubleshooter
Troublemaker

Postby sq225917 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:16 pm

You've dropped the back line, the kite is sat at the edge of the window and is already catching some wind. Just pull back hard, ie upturn the kite.

just like you would self launching with a sanded wingtip.
-----------------
sc@pureactionsports.com
Marketing guy.
sq225917
Go on, ask me.

Re: Relaunch..

Postby slozovsk » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:54 pm

To relaunch the Waroo from the dead downwind position the rider just needs to flip the kite onto its back,

Isn't Cabrinha relaunch easier? They don't require swimming towards kite. Or is it a marketing trick on their part?
slozovsk
Rare Poster

Postby IanUK » Sun May 18, 2008 2:46 am

Hi there

What happens if the kite falls leading edge down on the water - nothing I have tried will allow it to relaunch. This is when the leading edge is facing you and the wind is forcing the kite flat on the water.

Thanx
IanUK
Rare Poster

Postby sq225917 » Mon May 19, 2008 12:05 pm

i wouldn't call it a marketing trick, they just trade bar pressure and bit of stability for one less step in the relaunch.

Ian, if you are LE down facing you in the water then the only option is to swim out 90 degrees to the kite until you start pulling one wingtip back round into the wind. This is pretty much identical to the self-launch on the beach where the kite skids round and then pops up.
-----------------
sc@pureactionsports.com
Marketing guy.
sq225917
Go on, ask me.

I ´d rather avoid this method....

Postby SteWre » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:34 pm

I stopped to flip my Waroo (7m, 2006) on its back a long time ago - every time I did it I ended up having lots of problems with an inverted kite.

Up to now, having that small a kite, I could always manage to start it by simply pulling a steering line.

Having bought bigger kites (Waroo 13m, 2008 + HP 8m, 2009) lately - do I have to try flipping them on their back again?

Stefan
SteWre
Rare Poster

Postby KiwiMike » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:47 pm

I don’t represent Best but I do ride best kites and teach with their products. The way I teach clients to relaunch is below. I find it works for me on every kite I’ve tried (even a 5 line C Kite) UNLESS the wind is at the very bottom end of the kite’s range. I’m not claiming this is the only way or even the best way but it works for me. I prefer to teach this method because both hands stay on the bar and there is no need to hold and pull on any lines.

1. Check that red side of the bar is in your left hand. This is important! It can be confusing when the kite is leading edge down, the lines WILL BE TWISTED.

2 Pull the bar all the way in. It should be touching the chicken-loop.

3 Point one end of the bar straight at the kite and wait as it may take a few seconds to start to work. Pointing one end of the bar at the kite gives the biggest steering input possible. One wingtip will begin to lift and the kite will start to rotate its leading edge up away from the water. If you want the kite to go to the left, point the left end of the bar at the kite if you want the kite to go right point the right end at the kite.

4. Sheet out (push the bar away) as soon as the kite begins to point upward (as apposed to down or horizontal) and continue to steer the kite (though not so radically) toward 12. Be sure to sheet out before the kite falls backwards onto its trailing edge.

Before you start think through the 4 steps.

When I say the “Kite points” I mean an imaginary arrow along the centre strut (or where it would be) and pointing toward the leading edge. If the kite were stable at 12 then this arrow would point straight up wind. A kite standing on it’s wing tip would point horizontally. I use this arrow a lot while teaching.

This method is not without it’s faults. If the wind is at the bottom end of the kite’s range it may not work. The kite will not lift off (begin to fly) until the bar is eased out. If the bar is held in too long as the kite rotates up the kite will continue to rotate and fall on it’s trailing edge which has it’s own set of problems. If in doubt sheet out early, then if it doesn’t work all you will have to do is pull the bar back in and try again.

Anytime you’re relaunching a kite it helps to try to resist the pull of the kite with your body against the water. Try not to slide downwind in the body drag position, as this will reduce the wind on the kite and the tension on the lines.

Give whatever method you try some time to work rather than continually pulling different lines or different sides of the bar. Often the kite will have to drift until it is directly down with tension on the lines before any method will work.

If the kite relaunches with twists in the lines don’t be concerned (the kite will fly fine with twisted lines) and be sure to get the kite under control at 12 before you do anything about the twists. Then if your safety leash connection allows, you can spin the bar to remove the twists. Make sure your left hand goes back on the red side of the bar. On some setups (like an older Best Bar with the leash connected to the rear line OSR handle) the leash will twist round the depower rope if you spin the bar. This could potentially prevent the kite from flagging if you subsequently need to release the kite. If the kite has inverted (rolled) during the crash it could launch with the back lines wrapped around the front lines. The kite will usually fly fine like this to but you should head back to the beach, land the kite and fix any un-resolved twists. Do this even if the kite still flies fine until you know enough to be sure you don’t need to.

Be sure you understand your kites safety systems. A lot of leash connection options that allow the bar to be spun will not flag the kite if it’s released. This could be a problem if you expect the kite to flag. A true flag out safety needs to allow 3 lines to become at least the length of the kites leading edge longer than the one the leash connects to.

The description above assumes the kite has crashed leading edge down. Students often crash kites trailing edge down by holding the bar in too far in the wrong circumstances. This is called back stalling (though it’s often resolved by pushing the bar away before the kite hits the water) and even well trimmed (setup) kites will do this in some situations. If the kite is crashed trailing edge down I get my students to let go of the bar and swim backwards (hard with both arms like oars), up wind, away from the kite. This will increase the tension on the front lines and put slack in the rear lines. The kite will soon roll onto its leading edge and one of the normal re-launch methods will work. It could in theory hot launch (launch into the power zone) but I have never seen this happen.

Again I’m not saying this is better than any other method but it’s what I prefer to use and teach. Give it a try if it makes sense and you want to try another way.
Kiwis CAN fly!
KiwiMike
Rare Poster

Postby Dooner » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:22 pm

Thanks for the interesting information )
Dooner
Rare Poster

Return to Tips and Tricks