how to release line knot

This is a forum dedicated to tips and tricks, whether its rigging your bar correctly or learning a backroll...

Moderator: sq225917

how to release line knot

Postby quixmac » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:24 pm

I have just found that I have a small knot on one of my lines. Does anyone know how to release this knot. I'm afraid that this will weaken the line.
Thanks for any info.
Attachments
IMG_4842.JPG
IMG_4842.JPG (142.84 KiB) Viewed 10828 times
quixmac
Rare Poster

Postby NICKM » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:08 pm

get it wet and get tweezers. pic and prod to loosen it up. do it slowly and make sure you dont yank and fibers loose. you may need to replace it

nick
5-7, 5-7, 6...same but different
NICKM
Medium Poster

Postby ThePerchik » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:37 pm

Have a big dinner, then sit down and chew it gently for a while, dont swallow the line (wish someone told me that, lol).
Taboo 10,14 & 17
Nobile T5
ThePerchik
Medium Poster

Postby troubleshooter » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:33 pm

I just did that two days ago. I used a long sewing needle and dulled the tip. Then I poked the needle under one of the line folds and startedwrking it open. Dont push it through the line or you will separate the fibers. Just below the line fold. Work it in there.

Like with so many other things, do it slowly and do it right. I wouldnt chew on it too much. U can get heavy piece of something that is dull and flat and pound flatly on teh knota little to work it loose. It will come out, just dont rush it.

Watch out! Officer Stacey will shut you down with that pixel size. Read her picture size sticky.
troubleshooter
Troublemaker

Postby marazmas » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:20 am

I had this issue a few times. It worked really well for me to hammer the knot lightly with a smooth surface (be it metal or wood, best if the corners and the surface of it are roundish, NO sharp edges) after it was soaked for a minute or two in boiling water. Also, make sure the knot you're hammering is on another smooth surface... but hard! Hammer some then tease some, hammer some then tease some... don't overdo the hammering... better spend extra five minutes doing it lightly than ruining threads in the line, you'll see when it starts working. It usually takes me around 5 minutes to undo a knot. Some folks say that one shouldn't worry if it's in a steering line, but you will keep thinking about it when on the water... which is killing the fun, so undo them, it's really not that hard!
marazmas
Rare Poster

Postby sq225917 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:18 am

You lot want to get out more.... 8)
-----------------
sc@pureactionsports.com
Facebook: simon clarke
Marketing guy.
sq225917
Go on, ask me.

Postby mspenz » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:08 pm

Chew on it gently with your back teeth then after about 10 / 15 mins it should be at a point where you can start to pull it apart ! Works :grin:
mspenz
Rare Poster

Postby James » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:50 pm

I am with the majority.....gently chew on the knot and let saliva do the work. It will loosen up enough to get it out. Do inspect the line after as the knot it self can create a weak point. I have not had a line snap yet because of chewing out a knot, but it is always worth keeping an eye on!

James
Sunny skies and Windy days......may they happen together.
www.highasakite.ca
James
Medium Poster

Re: how to release line knot

Postby the belgian » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:37 pm

chewing on the knots slowly does work!!! just done it today and it took me only few minute to undo it!

thanks everyone!!
the belgian
Rare Poster

Return to Tips and Tricks