Redline Bar Issues

This is a forum dedicated to tips and tricks, whether its rigging your bar correctly or learning a backroll...

Moderator: sq225917

Redline Bar Issues

Postby marksg » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:53 am

Guys
What's the news on a 2010 Redline bar? My 2009 drives me nuts - the re-power (grey) strap will just not work properly. I need to put the kite under extreme tension to get the webbing to feed back through the buckle when powering up again.
I've spent hours working the system to soften it up but it's still no good.

What I'd like to do is to buy an 09 regular bar replacement depower assembly which includes the better mickey mouse ear swivel (which works - unlike the redline 'thing') and swap this out on my redline bar.
Would this work OK?

I have an 09 best bar and both depower and swivel work very well. The redline equivalent is awful.

thanks
marksg
Rare Poster

Re: Redline Bar Issues

Postby MidLife53 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:51 am

I'm a newbie , but find the Redline " power/depower straps to be very difficult to opereate . I can pull the " red strap" depower line only when the kite is under alot of pull , but to get back to full power is somewhat not happing . I can pull and release and pull and release , but unless the kite is under alot of pull/power the grey strap does not want to go back to a power up location. Yesterday I was out in 18 to 24 mph winds with my 9.5 Kahoona on a frozen lake . When the wind moved up towards the 24 mph I tried to depower a few times , but this system would not work . I pulled and lulled on the red loop but the kite would not go into a depower "locked " postion . SO when the winds moved up to the middle 20's , and stayed there , I was all done because I could not depower my kite for that wind. I bought this REDLINE system because it was suppose to be safe . How safe is it if I can't change the power settings ???? I have TWO brand new 09 Reline Bars , I think I made a mistake.
MJ
MidLife53
Rare Poster

Postby posty » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:01 am

this issue was posted in the beginning releasing the bar.
there were some bars that had problems repowering.
so was mine in the beginning, it needed a lot of tention.
after it weared "in" it started function much better.
so you need to use it a lot.
but it needs some tention to repower.
i also think it works better when wet but that is useless on snow.
i can imgaine it is even harder.

i can't understand how you can not depower with the redline.
the only thing i can think of is that the bar is all the way up and the velcro of the strap is blocking it.
never heard of any issues depowering...
2011 Taboo 10&12m, 2012 TS 9m

Postby taitamsailor » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:00 am

I have to confirm the problem. I use the bar with two Kahoona kites and although fine at first, I started to experience the same issues with being unable to either power up the kite, or much more importantly, being able to de-power.

The only way to power up the kite was to load the kite up first by applying lots of pressure to the bar, which runs its own risks when you are on the beach!

I have subsequently exercised the straps whilst clamped in my trusty workmate which has helped, but the basic problem seems to be the stiffness of the strap material, especially when compared to an older Best bars. These newer bars seem to have power/depower straps made a rougher weave material which is less flexible, which is why I think they freeze up.

I think Best should do a Toyota and have a recall. I'm serious!
taitamsailor
Rare Poster

Postby jumarcil » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:07 am

My redline bar has about 70 sessions and it still works fine. The only thing is I will have to change the depower line soon which ain't bad. I have to admit that in my first sessions with the bar I had a bit of problem with the strap but when it was really blowing I was able to depower.
Driven by Wind ;-)
Best TS + Nemi V3
jumarcil
Medium Poster

Postby blubbo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:57 pm

Have had similar issues: I can relatively easily depower, but its realy hard to power up. When pulling the power-up strap, it takes only little time before the it slips back (unless there is a lot of tension). I have used a few other brands (North mainly) and have so far not had this problem.

Any suggestions?
blubbo
Rare Poster

Return to Tips and Tricks