Kinsley Thomas Wong Accident

Gear reviews, general discussion and anything to do with kiteboarding, the best sport in the world!

Moderator: sq225917

Kinsley Thomas Wong Accident

Postby reverse777 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:31 am

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2010/07/16 ... z0tvW6KNjm
Have just read about this on a Australian kiting website. Having watched and enjoyed a lot of Kinsleys videos on the Best Forum I hope and I am sure many other Australian kitersurfers hope that he can make a speedy recovery so that we can see him and his smiling face back in action again soon. :supz:
reverse777
Medium Poster

Re: Kinsley Thomas Wong Accident

Postby BACUS » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:59 am

Of course we all wish him well. Being a beginner I am a little curious if he was wearing a helmet or impact vest when he got hurt? I under stand the need for style in the sport but could his injuries have been minimized if he had the proper safty equipment on. For that fact why is there not a push by the professional side for more of that! U see skatboarders wearing helmets...Waterski jumpers wear them. Why has the Kiteboarding world not embraced safety for the sport?
Last edited by BACUS on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
BACUS
Rare Poster

Postby Patrickm86 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:01 am

I bought 3 kites from this guy. He has the most amazing positive attitude. Get better Kinsley!
Quiver: Waroo 20m 07 Nemesis HP 14m 09 Nemesis HP 10m 09 Bularoo 10m 07 Waroo 7m 09

09 Mako Wide
09 LF Rawson 6ER 6'1"
Patrickm86
Medium Poster

Postby amplatzer » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:38 pm

Man that SUCKs!

He is a solid guy, experienced kiter, and a ambassador for the sport. If he got hurt, it sure gives one pause. Keep it safe brothers and sisters...
amplatzer
Medium Poster

Postby mbigger » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:27 am

I wish him speedy recovery.
mbigger
Frequent Poster

Postby sq225917 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:01 am

Everyone at Best wishes Kinsley a speedy recovery, he's an awesome kiter and a great ambassador for the sport in general.

Simon
sq225917
Go on, ask me.

Postby BSCALL » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:49 pm

Kinsley is the true definition of an ambassador for life. He has an amazing positive attitude and everyone who he comes in contact with is a better person afterwards. Wishing him a speedy recovery.
Brian Scall
CS / Warranty Manager
Office: 1.252.489.2959 ext. 0223
Toll Free: 866-700-BEST (2378)
BSCALL
Medium Poster

Postby jumarcil » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:53 pm

I wish him the best and a full recovery . I also think about the close relatives and friends. Really sad.
Driven by Wind ;-)
Best TS + Nemi V3
jumarcil
Medium Poster

Postby GoBigorGoHome » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:42 am

A website has been launched on Kinsley's accident, health status, support blog and progress:

http://kinsleydonation.weebly.com/index.html
GoBigorGoHome
Rare Poster

Postby posty » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:52 am

great health care system you have in the u.s. of a!
2011 Taboo 10&12m, 2012 TS 9m

Postby ETHANol » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:58 pm

All I can say is that really sucks. Never knew the guy but really enjoyed watching the videos he made which always had a cool unique style to them. Usually when I read about an accident, I usually assume the rider made some mistakes I never would. But stories like this really let you know it can happen to any of us. Hope his recovery exceeds all expectations.
ETHANol
Frequent Poster

Postby jumarcil » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:27 am

I looked at the report and it really was a severe accident. The good news is that his spinal cord is not injured but swollen meaning he will probably regain use of his limbs.

I went through something similar in 1996. I broke and crushed 4 vertebraes in my back. It really was a long way up but now I can pretty much do all the things I was doing before. So I wish the same for Kinsley. I don't know him but he looks like such a nice guy I really feel for him and his families.

Wish him a prompt and full recovery

Jules
Driven by Wind ;-)
Best TS + Nemi V3
jumarcil
Medium Poster

Postby stacey » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:37 am

Update from Kinsley and Jamie 10/22/10

From Jamie:

Kinsley, Taizen and I are back home and settling in. It has been wonderful being together full time as a family and enjoying the quiet moments in between Kinsley's busy schedule.

We have pulled together a great team of doctors and professionals who come in to work with Kinsley continuing the therapy he received in rehab. With Taizen, now 8 weeks old, we decided it was best to bring in some help in for the mornings. When something is meant to be, the universe provides. We were blessed to meet an amazing nurse who has personal and nursing experience with spinal cord patients. She is amazing and an absolute gift. We are also working with a practitioner of Jin Shin Juytsu which has been a great experience and she is doing amazing work with Kinsley.

Kinsley has been making great progress since being home. With spinal injuries we have learned that it is not about what Kinsley can physically move but what muscles and parts he now has control over. Since being home Kinsley now has sensation into the C4 region (pectorals and chest above the nipples; upper part of the arm/shoulder). He is also breathing with his full belly (prior was his chest and part of his diaphram). His cough is much stronger (working our way towards no longer needing the trach) and he is feeling good. The only setback has been that Kinsley now has shingles. No fun but we are hoping that when the shingles go away, so will his spasms.

Taizen is now 2 months old and one strong boy, just like his daddy. He is a mover and quite a cutie. He keeps Kinsley and I smiling and laughing.

While at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center the rehab center celebrated their 40th anniversary. The foundation asked us to be a family they highlighted the story of how the hospital came together to make something amazing happen. Here is a link to the story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04zW7GrgTMk

Also in the news... Our family was the lead story in the 11pm news yesterday and again on the 6am news this morning. Here is a link to the story, Thank You KSBY for doing a great job sharing our story: http://www.ksby.com/player/?video_id=6560&categories=1

Thank You again for all the love and support you have shown us, it keeps us strong and we are incredibly grateful. We have enjoyed seeing so many of our friends and family and appreciate all the help you have given us.

Jamie, Kinsley & Taizen
stacey
She's in trouble poster..

Postby posty » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:10 pm

Glad he's doing better!
2011 Taboo 10&12m, 2012 TS 9m

Postby xtremebigair » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:54 pm

a big hello to all my friends:
Thank You again for all the love and support you have shown us, it keeps us strong and we are incredibly grateful.
I am getting better every day. You can keep up with my status here: http://www.friendsofKinsley.com

[url]XtremeBigAir.com[/url] is also back in full action

cheers
Kinsley
Go XtremeBigAir,

Kinsley ThomasWong
http://XtremeBigAir.com
xtremebigair
Medium Poster

Next

Return to Best Kiteboarding Forum