stretched bridles

Gear reviews, general discussion and anything to do with kiteboarding, the best sport in the world!

Moderator: sq225917

stretched bridles

Postby TW » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:32 pm

I´m wondering if the bridles on my 09 HP 10 can stretch and effect the performance of the kite.
Specifically, will the kite have more of a tendency to jelly fish or act less stable in gusty conditions.
Its really hard to tell, but it seems my kite is less stable now. Probably have about 60 sessions on it.

can i get a drawing of the bridle measurments to check? Or am i totally geeking out.
TW
Rare Poster

Re: stretched bridles

Postby jack » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:55 pm

I have a 11.5 Kahoona and after not many hours one of the bridle lines snapped where it travels through the ring . Thank goodness it was close to shore . I replaced it with ? , I don't know what but it looked good and is still on there . I measured the other lines to make sure I had it right and they were all different so I thinks a cm or two must not matter . I don't have near the 60 sessions you do , maybe 20 , good material eh !? I checked the rings and they are smooth !? the line turned black and did not appear frayed !?
I launch the kite and square the kite and bar off to check . THe bar should be level and the kite at 12 not going to one side or the other . Good to go .
I had my 06 bar snap in half near the centre hole so now I use my 09 redline bar on my 06 12m roo , my 08 9m roo and on my 09 15m roo as well as the09 11.5m kahoona . There was a set of pigtails for sale on the best site , I made some but had no power when installed so nowI just use it without and they all work fine ??!!
I posted about this quite some time ago and the response was if it works it's OK .
Best of luck , no pun intended ,
JackZ
now I'm really gonna have some fun!
IKO Water Instructor
jack
Rare Poster

Postby sq225917 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:29 am

They can stretch out a little, they tend just to snap rather than stretch, but alwasy worth checking.

Get in touch with Brian in warranty, he should have the measurements on file.
sq225917
Go on, ask me.

Postby chill » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:41 am

TW wrote:I´m wondering if the bridles on my 09 HP 10 can stretch and effect the performance of the kite.
Specifically, will the kite have more of a tendency to jelly fish or act less stable in gusty conditions.
Its really hard to tell, but it seems my kite is less stable now. Probably have about 60 sessions on it.

can i get a drawing of the bridle measurments to check? Or am i totally geeking out.

Have you checked your flying lines? They're a lot more likely to stretch. And, if the front lines stretch, it would cause symptoms similar to your summary. Savvy?
Just 'cause I kiteboard don't mean I'm an air-head....
chill
Frequent Poster

Postby TW » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:31 pm

naw. the flying lines i can adjust a number of ways.

I guess SQ answered the question- stretch not an issue- breakage is.
I´ll check the bridles carefully next sesh.
TW
Rare Poster

Postby BSCALL » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:58 pm

One thing to check with the rings is to make sure the welded part of the ring is not the section doing the traveling up and down the lines. Sometimes this can spin and cause premature wear. As for the stretch in bridles, Well very few cases of stretch. Like SQ said it will usually break and it can break faster if there is a nick in the line that is usually hard to detect unless you examine them very closely. Another issue is sandy spectra. The thicker spectra can get sand inside it which as you can imagine is like sandpaper on the inside of the lines. Best prevention is to always check your gear and do it often. A skydiver checks there gear every time they pack it. Kiteboarders should do it at least every other session. I kite a lot so I check my gear regularly and on the non windy day when I am jonesin I get the stuff out and give it the once over. All it took was one really long swim at dusk to teach me that lesson..... :sad:
Brian Scall
CS / Warranty Manager
Office: 1.252.489.2959 ext. 0223
Toll Free: 866-700-BEST (2378)
BSCALL
Medium Poster

Postby chill » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:05 pm

I'm confused.... the initial question was whether bridle stretching could be the cause of diminished in-flight performance. It seems to have turned into a discussion of catastrophic flight failure as a consequence of a bridle break. Obviously a bridle break would result in poor performance, but not of the type as described in the initial query.

Getting back to what could account for the poor flight performance as initially described, could front flight line stretch account for this? Granted that you may be able to adjust for this stretching by varying the knot to which you connect... but, if you are not aware that the front lines have stretched, then you may not realize that you need to select a different knot than what you've used over the past year. Tie something around a coconut tree (or what ever stationary object of your choice), and tie your lines to it. Then walk out your bar and check your line lengths. Are they correct? If your front flight lines (the inside pair...) have stretched, you will notice it.

Stretched front flight lines will certainly cause the in-flight performance problems as described in the initial query. I've had several occasions of front lines stretching. Never had the situation of bridle stretching.

If TW is willing to ask the question "Can stretched bridles affect in-flight performance?" and walk away with the answer of "The bridles may break, check 'em before each flight".... then okay, whatever, "who am I to blow against the wind?" (Paul Simon - song "I Know What I Know")
Just 'cause I kiteboard don't mean I'm an air-head....
chill
Frequent Poster

Postby BSCALL » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:02 pm

Ok sorry for the info about bridles. Yes if your bridles stretched out that could affect the performance of the kite but again its nore likely line stretch , underinflation/slow leak, and or canopy wear would be the first three things I would check. Then I would check your bridles and pullies to make sure they are all equal.
Brian Scall
CS / Warranty Manager
Office: 1.252.489.2959 ext. 0223
Toll Free: 866-700-BEST (2378)
BSCALL
Medium Poster

Postby jack » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:01 pm

Hi again ,
It was all relative and just like anything else , take what you need and leave the rest behind !
If you launch your kite in the appropriate wind and have the kite at twelve O'clock with tension in all the lines and the bar parallel to the ground or level , the kite should just stay there ! If it wanders off to one or the other side there would be a difference in line lengths causing it to steer that way . If you had the bar tilted one or the other way and the kite is stable and square at twelve o'clock this would indicate the same problem .usually they stretch the same amount but anything is possible . Thats why at the bar adjustments are available now .
My left bridle line on my 12m 06 waroo broke as well at jones Beach oregon in 09 , three years sounds good but how many hours sand salt etc . New lines every season would maybe eliminate these problems .
My lines in the bridle( 09kahoona ) were turning black at the point of use and checking them did not indicate an imminent failure on that session . How do you know as they were blackening from the first session on .
I started kiting with a foil and have some experience with line shrinkage , extreme on some bridle lines , which can and do cause poor flying characteristics . Constant monitoring of the lengths is needed.
Depending which lines , depends on how much it will affect it . There are not too many lines on an inflatable so it should be easy to detect where the problem is .
Proper line length is important and if you don't have the exact specs my first guess would be to ensure symmetry of the bridle lines and load the bar lines to check their lengths ensuring they are not different between the two fronts or the backs . Now Best has all the same length for simplicity . Then launch the kite and check as mentioned above .
:roll:
Thanks bscall I thought they were good but have purchased a set of bridle lines with updated new improved rings .
now I'm really gonna have some fun!
IKO Water Instructor
jack
Rare Poster

Postby matthepp » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:34 pm

Hey Brian,
I have a trusty 11.5 Kahoona v2 with a ton of flying time on it. Love this kite! To boot, I'm a heavyweight and don't have a finesse-type riding style. I too am geeking out thinking about bridle stretch. (Sorry, this could be due in part to flying a big Flysurfer foil, aka 'the bet-hedger'.) I swear the kite is more C-shaped now, turns even faster/more pivoty, and maybe offers a little less boost than it used to. It's not a line length thing as I've checked and adjusted for that. Can you provide bridle line lengths for reference? Or direct where to get that info?
Thanks,
Matt Hepp
matthepp
Rare Poster

Postby matthepp » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:03 pm

Sq? Deetron? Anyone have Kahoona bridle length?
Thanks-matt
matthepp
Rare Poster

Postby DeeTron508 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:42 am

Hey Matt,

Unfortunately we do not have complete bridle specs; furthermore as Simon mentioned bridles will stretch a little, but usually they end up just snapping at the end of their life span. So checking for signs of fraying or severe wear/tear is more important than actual stretching.

If you are worried about bridle stretch, measure section lengths between both sides. If each bridle has relatively similar measurements (+ or - 2cm), you should be fine. Bridle stretch is normal; think of it like breaking in a pair of shoes. As the canopy material stretches a little, so too do the bridles. This usually does not impact kite performance however, and the general rule is 'if the kite flies well, the bridles are in tune.'

Hope this helps,
D
DeeTron508
Rare Poster

Postby sq225917 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:16 pm

Matt the bridle points are all pretty much equally loaded on all the kites, that's the way Peter designs them so that the load angle increases as you go up the LE and equals out the reduction in load as you go. So if they do stretch they all stretch equally. Maybe the bit where the bridle sliders run might stretch a touch more, but certainly never enough to make your kite appreciably more c-shaped.
sq225917
Go on, ask me.

Postby matthepp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Thanks guys for your feedback!
matthepp
Rare Poster

Postby Quad » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:29 pm

Seeing this topic on top must be a coincidence. Today also my line snapped from the bridle of my Kahoona v4. Is it normal these thing happen after about 40-45 sessions?
Quad
Rare Poster

Next

Return to Best Kiteboarding Forum