Best Kiaola ?

Gear reviews, general discussion and anything to do with kiteboarding, the best sport in the world!

Moderator: sq225917

Best Kiaola ?

Postby Dr_Rosen » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:07 am

Does anyone what about the Kiaola compared to what I guess are comparable boards like Airush Sector and RRD K-Free? Is it the same type? Anyone tried it etc etc?

Trying to find out more before a buying decision between Kiaola, Sector, F-Free !
Dr_Rosen
Rare Poster

Re: Best Kiaola ?

Postby cowboy54 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:36 am

It really will depend on what you are looking for from the board.

Airush sector I have heard is going to be a dramatic advancement on its next incarnation. Alot of folks in the UK use the Sector for lightwind rather than any sort of racing

RRD have only seen a couple used over here by folks into racing. Has a flatter top compared to the airush

Very few folks will have had the chance to use the kiaola as wont be out till around March next year, Have been onto UK rep for ages about when its out as fancy a try out with it (maybe HQ could send me a demo) :wink:

All boards look very similar sort of vain, and another one that I always thought looked closer to the Kiaola is the North Nugget
Anglia Area Demo Manager (UK)
cowboy54
Medium Poster

Postby davesails7 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:44 pm

Seems like the free-race style boards have to pick a line between surf-style vs. race-style.

I haven't tried it since it's not out yet, but from reading on the website, it seems like they are going more towards surfing than the sector is.

I'm excited to try it out this spring! unless it gets delayed by another 8 months :(
North Dyno 18m, Rebel 14m,11m,7m
Cabrinha Race 188x69, OR Mako 140, Slingshot SP
davesails7
Rare Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:37 am

RRD K-Free is now build on the Cobra factory because it has been difficult to build freerace boards that can take the beatings. Also the Sector have had quality issue e.g. in the fin boxes.
I wonder if Bests first attempt will be a quality product? ......... maybe that is behind the delays ?
Dr_Rosen
Rare Poster

Postby sq225917 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:25 pm

The delay with the Kiaola is down to a couple of things. We aren't really in a rush to start making them, as this end of the board shaping market is moving so fast it makes sense for us to wait as long as possible before releasing it. The flip side of this is that we now have 8 months testing time on the current layup/construction, so we can be really confident about how it will hold up to use and abuse. We paid particular attention to the fin boxes and reinforcing around that area- no point messing with 22cm fins otherwise.

Of course it's a lightwind/freeride board so the ideal time to launch isn't in the middle of winter, so we'll probably roll it out late January. give or take.
sq225917
Go on, ask me.

Postby davo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:10 pm

sq225917 wrote:The delay with the Kiaola is down to a couple of things. We aren't really in a rush to start making them, as this end of the board shaping market is moving so fast it makes sense for us to wait as long as possible before releasing it. The flip side of this is that we now have 8 months testing time on the current layup/construction, so we can be really confident about how it will hold up to use and abuse. We paid particular attention to the fin boxes and reinforcing around that area- no point messing with 22cm fins otherwise.

Of course it's a lightwind/freeride board so the ideal time to launch isn't in the middle of winter, so we'll probably roll it out late January. give or take.

Isnt 22cm fins a bit small for light wind sailing, what fin boxes will it have?
davo
Rare Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 am

22 cm fins are exactly same size as on the Airush Sector and the RRD K-Free. And I see guys get going really early on those !

Makes good sense to wait until spring :smile: ....does that mean that the design is not 100% fixed yet?
But can you comment on how it will be "positioned"/shaped/designed compared to those two other? Will it be slalom focused like the K-Free or more surf shaped or?
Dr_Rosen
Rare Poster

Postby sq225917 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:32 am

Dr-R, as of yesterday the design work is done and the board is approved. Here's all of the directionals in their final colour schemes.

Think of the Kiaola more like a windsurf fun board. It's a loose board with a wide platform, it screams upwind in lightwind and with a swap down to surf fins it will tackle moderate waves with ease. It's a real all-rounder with the accent on being able to get out then when everyone else in waiting for wind.
Attachments
directionals.jpg
sq225917
Go on, ask me.

Postby davesails7 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:54 am

What fin boxes come in the Kiaola?

Any chance to demo the board down in Hatteras some time this spring? I've been riding a raceboard of the same size and would gladly write a full review of the board for you guys if I could get a chance to demo it in OBX or Virginia Beach!
davesails7
Rare Poster

Postby davesails7 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:47 pm

So is the Kiaola cancelled? 2 years past the original release date and now it's been removed from the website? Oh well...
davesails7
Rare Poster

Postby cowboy54 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:22 am

I think its probably more a fact that they want to make sure there is a definate date for release rather than being scrapped.

Do agree that it has been a long wait since the orginial announcement, but the surfboards have also been delayed and taken off the site. Hopefully its just a case of launching these new boards with the 2014 kite range
cowboy54
Medium Poster

Postby davesails7 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:58 pm

Want to make sure there is a definate date? There have already been 5 definate dates! :grin:

Good point about the surf boards being removed also, maybe there is still hope. I doubt the surf boards have been cancelled.

I can't wait to ride this board with my hellfish kites...
davesails7
Rare Poster

Postby cowboy54 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am

taken from a post by the UK importer for shinn, so if one company is thinking this with their boards could add another dimension onto why all these boards have been taken off the site

We have shapes.. I have two of them here, but no production.
The long and short of it is that China prices are high, quality is poor, service non existent, and accuracy worse. There is no facility to make them in europe at a reasonable cost. Until Mark finds a solid production base for them he is not doing it, and I agree.. Such a shame - I have some samples here from various factories to test, and the shapes are great. I have no idea when they will re-emerge, as right now it would be vary bad for everyone if he starts making boards that are not 100%. I have some hair raising tales of what they get up to when they think you are not looking.
cowboy54
Medium Poster

Postby cowboy54 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:22 am

I can confirm from what Ive heard the kiaola and surfboards have been put on hold, but shouldnt be too long before they come out.

Photo on facebook from PKRA in Germany of kristin coming off the water from racing on the kiaola
cowboy54
Medium Poster

Return to Best Kiteboarding Forum