Best product quality (Kahoona, Spark, RP Bar v3)

Gear reviews, general discussion and anything to do with kiteboarding, the best sport in the world!

Moderator: sq225917

Best product quality (Kahoona, Spark, RP Bar v3)

Postby Andyo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:05 am

Hi everyone,

After getting addicted to this sport and buying more and more equipment, I am really wondering wether it is only me who has continuously issues with Best products.

The Best shop is close to me, the people are really nice and helpful and I did all my lessons there.. So naturally I bought my equipment there..

Kahoona 2012: after the first use the stopper ball in the inflate valve was gone... I brought it back, they fixed it, and after one more use, the ball was gone again. I know it's not a big deal, but still, if you buy an expensive kite, wouldn't you expect it to work like it should, even if it's just a stopper ball... U wouldn't accept if a brand new car has a little scratch when u pick it up...

Spark Board 2012: after being in the water maybe 5 times max, I saw that at both ends and especially at all 4 corners the first layer on both sides splits open. A first fix with 2 component board repair glue and pressing it together overnight helped only temporary... I now used superglue and it held for the last few sessions... 

RP Bar 2013: I recently bought a 2013 Kahoona with the new bar. On the very first use, I went into the water, turned around and "boom" my bar shot to the direction of the kite and I first didn't know what's going on.. After finally reaching the kite and getting pulled out of the water by another kiter I saw that one of the front lines snapped (right at the knot where u can adjust the front line length) and that the chicken loop cracked open (the plastic where it goes into the release)...  This happened after maybe 60 seconds of usage!

I brought the bar back to the store and the broken parts were replaced with a "sorry, shouldn't have happened" from the Best guys. I went to Boracay right after I picked it up... 18knots avg wind, perfect conditions, so I thought I give the 2013 bar another try! Everything seemed fine for about 15 mins after suddenly again "boom" my bar is shooting to the direction of the kite! After finally reaching the beach I checked what happened - not the front line snapped again as I expected, this time, the swivel cracked open! The top of the swivel is completely gone and the crack runs down on the sides to the screws that holds it together...

It seems that all my Best products are just plain cheap low quality. Some issues are just annoying and time consuming to sort it out, but the bar issue is just an absolute nogo! This is a serious safety issue, I'm hanging my life on that thing!

Andreas
Andyo
Rare Poster

Re: Best product quality (Kahoona, Spark, RP Bar v3)

Postby sq225917 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:35 am

Andreas, sorry to hear about this rash of issues, it is out of the ordinary.

I think the R&D guys will want to see your chickenloop and swivel assembly, we've had no failures like that so far so i expect they'd be keen to investigate further.

Re the Kahoona stopper balls, it does sometimes happen if you jam the thinner inflate adaptor into the valve or have pushed the deflate tabs too far into the valve so that there tear the membrane behind the stopper ball. Of course it's always a PITA when it does happen. If the membrane is torn then adding a new ball will always result in the same thing. It may need a new LE bladder, it certainly needs closer inspection.

Without seeing the Spark before it was re-glued I can't really say what the issue was. I do know that we've had very few issues with and of the Spark boards going back to the V1. We still use the same OEM for them and the outer skins haven't changed. Check the top sheet for any signs of bubbling, this would indicate that air has not been fully expelled during moulding. If that isn't visible then the most likely culprit is standing the board on it's edge on a hard surface, but that wouldn't really account for all 4 corners lifting.

check your email you have incoming.

Simon
sq225917
Go on, ask me.

Postby Andyo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:13 am

Hi,

thanks for your fast reply - will wait for your email.

Unfortunately I didn't take a pic on the first incident (when the chicken loop cracked out of the release and the center line snapped, but the Best shop said they would send it in, so I assume your R&D people have the defective part.

I attached some pics (sorry about the quality, took them with my phone) of the swivel crack and the board where it slowly opens up again after my 2nd fix attempt (you can see its not only in the corner...)

Cheers
Attachments
TCMount 005 (1).jpg
TCMount 008.jpg
TCMount 006.jpg
Andyo
Rare Poster

Postby Andyo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:07 pm

Hi All,

just wanna say thanks to Simon, Darren and Lanral from Best who took care that all my issues were sorted out very smoothly!
I was out today and the bar held up perfectly (even though I was a bit overpowered)!

Great service and living up to the warranty!

Thanks again!

Andreas
Andyo
Rare Poster

Postby Quad » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:05 am

Just curious, how did you got helped with your problems?
Quad
Rare Poster

Postby sq225917 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:20 am

I called Darren, Darren called the shop local to Andreas. Lanral called Andreas, Andreas went into shop- walked out with new parts...
sq225917
Go on, ask me.

Postby Andyo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:53 am

Yes!
I stopped by the Best shop here in Cape Town and was sorted out after 2 mins!
Andyo
Rare Poster

Postby vkngktr » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:54 am

Best customer service has always proved stellar!
vkngktr
Rare Poster

Postby NICKM » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:49 pm

Tonyp,

You've posted the same thing here and a different forum thread. I responded to your other one. Have you had any resolve? Check my post in your other thread.
5-7, 5-7, 6...same but different
NICKM
Medium Poster

Postby NICKM » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:06 am

Glad it's figured out. BTW, I see you fly an 2008 Era. I loved the era. Powerful kite no doubt
5-7, 5-7, 6...same but different
NICKM
Medium Poster

Postby tonyp » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:36 am

NICKM wrote:Glad it's figured out. BTW, I see you fly an 2008 Era. I loved the era. Powerful kite no doubt

Yes it is very powerful if wind picks up , great as a low wind kite though . Much more powerful than the 14m on kite suggests .
8m 2013 TS , 10m 2013 TS , 13m 2009 waroo , 14m ERA 08 .
137x44 nobile 666 NHP
135x41 north select
tonyp
Rare Poster

Return to Best Kiteboarding Forum