Help; Kahoona 7.5 back stalling

Gear reviews, general discussion and anything to do with kiteboarding, the best sport in the world!

Moderator: sq225917

Help; Kahoona 7.5 back stalling

Postby apctjb » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:30 pm

I love the Kahoona; I have been flying them since V1, and have upgraded to new Kahoona's each and every year since so am now on the 2013 Kahoona +V5. I am no pro but I do get in 150 days of kiting a year so I have spent plenty of time on the Kahoona's since V1.

I am having a problem with my Kahoona V5 7.5M back stalling. If the kite is sitting back in the wind window (like when riding a wave and the kite is drifting) and I sheet in the kite will start to sink tailing edge down toward the water and I have to sheet out aggressively to stop the stall. I only have this problem on the 7.5M; its not an issue on my 5.5, 9.5 or 11.5. Stranger still is I am using the same bar and lines so unlikely to be a line issue (2013 redline bar plus I measured and all lines are equal length)

Again I have flown Kahoona's for years; I know that any kite will back stall a little in the lulls but something is up with my Kahoona 7.5 which is way different than that. The bummer is normally the 7.5M Kahoona is my favorite kite but now I am avoiding it.

Any ideas ??
apctjb
Medium Poster

Re: Help; Kahoona 7.5 back stalling

Postby reverse777 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:05 am

Hi Apctjb
Sounds like a manufacturer fault to me.
If Best can give you the bridal and steering line knot lengths specs to compare, will help.
I have a had the 7.5mt kahoona earlier model 2011 and had no such problems unless riding in marginal conditions which will effect all kites unless you had the 2010 waroo's which were the back stall kings.
Hope you can find the fault, that sounds frustrating.
reverse777
Medium Poster

Re: Help; Kahoona 7.5 back stalling

Postby apctjb » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:16 pm

If Best can give you the bridal and steering line knot lengths specs to compare, will help.
I have a had the 7.5mt kahoona earlier model 2011 and had no such problems unless riding in marginal conditions which will effect all kites unless you had the 2010 waroo's which were the back stall kings.
Hope you can find the fault, that sounds frustrating.

I was hoping to hear from others on the forum that have the V5 7.5M if anyone else has noticed the same back stall problem. If not then that points to an isolated problem with my kite or me.

Having the bridle length diagram would be great and allow me to check.

Thx
apctjb
Medium Poster

Return to Best Kiteboarding Forum